11.20.2007

Rock Concert Worship

I had the opportunity this weekend to attend the National Youth Worker's Convention put on by Youth Specialties here in Atlanta. It was a good conference, over 5500 youth workers from all around the country attended and the general sessions and breakouts were really quite diverse and helpful as far as resourcing, ideas, networking, and personal spiritual growth and development. It was a wonderful experience and I encourage anyone who has the opportunity to attend.

Sunday morning's session had worship led by none other than the David Crowder Band. It has been quite a long time since I have heard Dave Crowder or Chris Tomlin. I was thrown back to the old days when I was completely encapsulated in the mega-church idea. I have since grown and have often viewed corporate, rock-star generated worship as forced, even mechanical. I have alluded to it being similar to the travelling circus in the sense that it's odd-ness is one of the reasons people come out to look. I have poked fun at the songs with their sappy lyrics and the worship leaders with their unintentional hip-ness preventing any authentic expression of worship.

However, this week, in the middle of worship with David Crowder, my position has since changed. As I jumped up and down in the middle of O Praise Him, I realized that this rock concert-like expression of worship is very much connecting others to God. I realized that rock concerts have been the medium teenagers and adults alike have flocked to in an effort to connect with their artists through the experience of live music. I have seen all my favorite bands live, and I thought about the best concert experience I've had. It was the U2 concert on the All That You Can't Leave Behind tour. In that arena, I felt taken away by the music, the lights, the show, but more by the experience of this music with those that were in the arena with me. It was as if we were all connected to something larger than us.

I feel that it was the same in the worship experience I had this weekend. I don't think that worship with God comes primarily through music, nor do I think that "big show" mentality is the way we need to be the church, but I do think that there is some value within this corporate, rock concert-like worship experience. I think communion with God happens in that space. I know it happened this weekend.

posted by Kelly @ 2:49:00 PM 

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you update this blog anymore? Loved this post. Go U2!

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, United States

I am on a journey, searching for God and what that means in my daily life. It's not about constraints, it's not about limitations, but freedom. I know something exists beyond the visible. I live thinking about possibilities and what could be and the necessary steps to make things happen. I like long talks with a good friend, drinking tea, eating breakfast with my husband, going to a bookstore (they are the new libraries), cool mornings, windy days in the fall, learning about love and life from those who seem to have found their way, teenagers, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, long baths, and connecting with another heart. I am learning how to love, how to live, when to speak and when not to, when it's time to gather the stones, when it's time to let go, surrender, forgiveness, and discipline.

previous posts

archived posts

listening to

coming soon

site-seeing

blogs

reading